Monday 20 November 2006

Controlling the Fear

Ok, so I have an uncontrollable fear of spiders. I don’t really know why, and I can’t tell you when it started. I know that when I was 12 I was trying on a new shirt in David Jones and was bitten by a Black Widow spider which had made a nest in the shirt.

I got pretty sick that night, but there was nothing too serious about it.

I went to a house party on Saturday night, the party was in the backyard of a house in Auchenflower. The backyard had a nice garden, and after about 10 minutes of standing talking, someone told the guy next to me to be careful of the spider. Turning I saw the web in the tree about 5 meters from my head, and this rather large ghost white spider.

I moved out of the way pretty quick, but found myself totally conscious of the spider’s presence for the rest of the night – even if I was on the other side of the yard.

Why does fear control us like that? Why does a small and quite insignificant creature which bears no threat to me still fill my mind when I should be enjoying other things?

The fact there was a spider in a tree really hampered my enjoyment of a party, do bigger fears in our lives (failure, ridicule, separation) stop us dead from achieving things God sets for us to do? How do we get over those fears, I can't even get over a fear of 8 legged creatures (yeah scorpians freak me out too).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i get the same thing whenever i see a snakeskin......erlgh.

One thing i have learnt over the last few years is that life is a lot more fun when you're not afraid or stuff...not afraid of failure or regret or rejection...not shy. yeah.

Shelley p

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons