Saturday 4 August 2007

Road Trip

Life on the road. This past week I’ve been to Gatton, Stanthorpe, Dalby and Kingaroy. I’m putting new computer systems in, which can be trying and time consuming work, but in the end I really just enjoyed the trip away.


I got to go places I’ve never been before, and drive roads I haven’t experienced before. Unfortunately I took our RACQ Commodore Wagon which isn’t exactly the most exciting vehicle to cruise the Darling Downs in, but just getting out on the road by myself makes me feel so free.

I stayed in Dalby on Tuesday night (after driving from Brissie to Stanthorp and then to Dalby (which also took me through Warwick and Toowoomba).

The highlight of my trip was Wednesday. I finished my computer set up at about 12 noon and the only other task I had for the day was to drive to Kingaroy. When I found out it was only just over an hour’s drive I decided to take a detour and head to the Bunya Mountains.


The first time I went to the Bunya Mountains was when I was 11. It was my Grade 6 camp and I loved the place. It’s funny how 14 years later I get to the Bunya Mountains park and I remember all the stuff we learnt that week on camp. I could tell the Bunya Pines from the Hoop Pines… I knew the names of the different types of ferns… I knew where I could find the trapdoor spiders but I didn’t go looking (obviously the fear of spiders has kicked in somewhere since Grade 6). It made me realise just so important school camping trips are – that Grade 6 camp is one of my fondest memories.

I decided to do the 4km Scenic Loop bushwalk, I needed some exercise after sitting in the car for so long and eating so much (RACQ paying for all food of course :-p).

I loved the bushwalk. It’s been a while since I’ve done a hike and I know 4km isn’t that long but it was perfect for the time I had (especially since I was technically still working). The Bunya Mountains are so beautiful – and the Scenic Loop took in so many of it’s different aspects… rainforests, eucalypt forests, lookouts over valleys, waterfalls, rock faces, wallabies, bush turkeys and so much more. Doing the walk by myself probably wasn’t the smartest thing, and I only passed a couple of people on the way. But I loved being out in such magnificent nature all by myself.

I did have my camera with me (as you’ve probably realised) and was able to enjoy doing some photography – and also finally figured out my remote control so got myself into a couple of the shots as well.

About 3 k’s into my 4k walk I met some school kids coming the other way, and would you believe it the supervising teacher was an old high school teacher of mine. What a place to run into one of the guys who had a real impacting role on my life while I was at high school. There was no time to chat, but it really just made my bush walk experience that little bit more special.

I made it to Kingaroy in plenty of time – and just felt totally rejuvenated. It’s been a tough couple of weeks at work, and I was in need of a break – I got it that day.

I fell in love with Kingaroy, it’s such a beautiful country town – with the big peanut silos in the middle of town, the train line, the old country pubs and wide streets. Something about the place just really grabbed me. I think if in the next few weeks I hear about a chaplaincy job or something in Kingaroy it’s God, who’s already preparing my heart by just loving the place so much.

The trip home Thursday was good too. Again I finished up the installation at about 12, grabbed some lunch and hit the road. My GPS told me to head towards Nanango then through Yaraman and down to Blackbutt, Esk and then into Ipswich. I tell you what this is the first trip I’ve done with a GPS unit and it was brilliant! There’s no worries about getting lost… I could cruise wherever and even in the remote places on the Darling Downs my GPS had me safely headed for home.

I stopped at a winery and got Mum a local bottle of white wine just as something special – they had free tasting, but I only tried the white, knowing I still had to drive home. When I think holidays I usually think of heading to the beach… but I think my next road trip may be out that way again.

I also think some of the guys at Whitehill or City North should plan a camping trip up to the Bunya Mountains for a weekend. Just a blokey weekend camping, cooking our own food and hiking would be great!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post Dean. It is also a great idea about doing a camping weekend.

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons