Monday 7 July 2008

Why I Play the Drums in Church.

Someone told me at church last night that a fairly elderly man had commented to them that he loves the passion and energy I put into my drumming on Sunday nights. I don't know the man, but by some of the comments from people who overheard the complement it seems this guy may not have been too much into having drums in church before now.

It was a humbling complement, and not the first I've received since starting to drum at City North. I am humbled because those comments (more about passion and energy than skill or coolness) reflect the reason I play the drums.

Back in year 8 (1995), in a music class I picked up a set of drum sticks for the first time. It was a whole class participation thing so everyone was having a go, but when I started playing the simple 4/4 time beat the teacher remarked that I must have played before. When I told her it was my first time she took notice and the next year she coaxed me into beginning drum lessons. So I've been playing since 1996 - which is a fair chunk of time - and I did lessons up till the end of 98... since then it's just been me learning and growing as a drummer as I played and listened to all different types of music.

However; the one thing that has always defined my drumming is that it's a reflection of God's glory in my life. I class it as a gift, mainly due to that first time playing when I just picked up the sticks and played a steady beat - it was so natural and even though I know I've gotten a lot better since that day, the basic rhythmic instinct was there, even before I was taught anything.

School bands weren't something I was ever good at, the technical drumming needed didn't reflect that instinct I had, and I am not and have never been a good technical rudiment drummer. My music teachers all thought I was half rate - until one turned up at church one night and saw me play there... she wanted to know why I played so well at church but didn't play like that at school.

The simple fact is, when I play drums in church it is my way to worship God, it's a gift he's given me, and I get to use it to bring glory back to him.

A few years out of highschool I was playing on a WEC Camp and God gave me a vision while playing. Suddenly as I was playing I was in a long dark room. There was a spotlight on me and my drum kit, and up the other end of the room was the throne of God. It was just a throne with light too blinding to see anything else coming from it - there was no one else there and I was able to focus my whole effort of drumming onto that throne. It was like God was saying "I'm listening, and you play only for me".

Even since that night I play well when I have those words in mind, God's listening and I'm playing only for him. If I'm thinking I look cool or impressive with my drumming I never play as well, and I always feel that. I know sometimes I go into church with the wrong attitude to playing the drums, and on those nights playing is never a fulfilling experience. But when I am allowing it to be a response to all God's done in my life, is when people comment how well I play.

It's probably why I like band practise so much more than the service... because there is no one watching and my own selfish thoughts don't creep into my head. It's also why I always feel so unworthy whenever someone complements my drumming skills, because I feel it's just God working through me, and something I do for him - people telling me how good I am just feeds my human ego, and I hate that with my drumming.

But also it's why that comment from that older man last night made me smile. I'm glad the passion I have for serving God is reflected in my drumming, and I'm glad it's made a man a little against drums in church realise it is a valid form of worship. Only God working through me could do that.

3 comments:

Gareth Williams said...

Thanks for sharing this mate. It's a great vision, hope you never forget it.
Have to catch up again soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I found your blog entry by accident and really enjoyed reading it. You may be interested in my web site dedicated to Christian drummers worldwide, would be great to get your input! Matt

Anonymous said...

Oops, I meant to give you the address:

http://www.christiandrummers.net

Look forward to hearing from you!

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons