Tuesday 30 September 2008

Recharge

Am back - and finally ready to lay out a few thoughts on Recharge 08.

I always enjoy Recharge, simply for the fact I can get away for a weekend with people I see often, and some I don't see very much at all.  There are so many up at Tamborine Mt for the weekend you're bound to bump into someone who you totally do not expect to be there.

This year instead of the Friday night Bush Dance, they put on an 80's Prom Night (which was basically a bush dance but you had to come dressed in bad 80's formal attire).  Was a little bit of fun, and good to catch up with a friend Bel Morrison who kind of became my 'date' for the night (sorry Bel) - but anyway check out her myspace as her music is fantastic - http://www.myspace.com/belmorrison

Anyway the social aspect of Recharge was good, as always (special note must go to Derek and his fantastic choice to get Merlo coffee for the cafe this year - GREAT JOB MATE!!), and it was heightened by the fact that a whole group of us from City North booked into the same accommodation at WEC and us boys shared a cabin and really got to spend some time chatting, which was excellent.

Tim Hein was the main speaker for the weekend, and I thought he was pretty good.  Tim spoke at the WHY Young Adults camp in January this year, and unfortunately the messages were fairly similar so I'd hear most of it before.  I still took some good notes though and was able to get stuff out of what he said.

I also went to 3 out of the 4 electives Tim did over the weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed them.  His one on the Emerging Missional Church was great  - and the two on Young Adults ministries wasn't far behind.

As usually Andrew Sercombe from Soul Survivor was back to lead worship and did an amazing job.  I knew some of the other people in the band this year and it was a different dynamic knowing the guys who were leading us in worship - not just Andrew.

I did react to the music differently this year, but I'll cover that in another post.

Anyway a brief overview of what I learnt this year...

  • ~The God who is the same yesterdaytoday and forever is just as relevant today as he was at creation. Even though God may be seemingly different in his actions, "seeing everything as good", "wanting to wipe out the nation of Israel", "weeping over the people", "judging the nations" and "offering the ultimate forgiveness" God is still committed to being Himself through that in all those different emotions he is constantly loving us - and that is what has remained unchanged through it all, but has caused those different emotional reactions.
  • ~God is committed to this world. God was so committed in fact that he left the divine environment of heaven and limited himself so that he could join what he had created, to teach and show us, and ultimately die in our place.
  • ~God is committed to our personal transformation, his plan is written into our lives and it was placed there the moment we were conceived in him. His plan will evolve in my life by itself, just at the right time.
  • ~God is not a god who is backing off.
That's just a little bit from the first session Tim did.  If I get a chance I'll write out some more of my notes later.

No comments:

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons