Thursday 20 November 2008

Aftermath

Waking up this morning it was kind of strange to see blue skies.  When I went to bed at 1am last night it was still hammering with rain, as it had been for about 3 hours.

It wasn't until I drove to work I saw what had really gone on.  I knew we'd had a massive 200+mm of rain over night, our gauge fills to 170mm and it was full, but others had said their 200mm ones were full too.

Driving down my street I saw a house a few down from us with its fence hanging out over the road, obviously not where it was suppose to be.  Grass had been swept away... basically we're pretty well at the top of a hill and everything from just below us down had most of their garden, fences and anything else lying around swept down to the bottom of the hill (there was a nice pile of dirt and belongings in the intersection). People were turfing out water soaked gear they'd left outside, one veranda looked totaled with wood collapsing from under it.

The schools were closed, and driving past I could see fences leaning over and moved... ovals flooded (Mum told me later it was actually the sewage that had flooded and covered the oval - nice).  

If you check out news.com.au there are photos from around the Ipswich area and the immense flooding - it seems in the span of maybe 5 or 6 hours between 200 and 300mm of rain fell over quite a large area, causing the worst flooding we've seen here since 1974.

As I've been writing this the rain has started again and BOM shows another big storm front moving through, so we haven't seen the end of this yet - it is quite amazing.

I'll leave you with this photo - take note, the river usually flows at least 40 feet if not more below this bridge (though the channel is quite narrow this is a huge rise!).


No comments:

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons