Tuesday 1 September 2009

Reunion

Last Saturday I had my 10 Year High School Reunion.

It was a good time. West Moreton Anglican College put it on at the school (in the Staff Room, which was kind of weird cause 10 years ago that's where we'd go when we were in trouble) and I found it a rewarding time to catch up with my old school mates (many of whom I hadn't seen at all in the past 10 years).

I wasn't exactly part of the 'in' crowd in high school, not in the popular group and one of those guys who sat on the fringe a fair bit. It didn't bother me too much, because I had a great group of friends at church, so didn't feel at too much of a loss. Finishing school I basically wrote off my class mates and just got more involved with my friends at church... in hindsight it is one of the things I regret the most. I missed everyone's 18th and 21st birthdays, and really lost a part of me which had played such a big role in who I was becoming.

Initially I think the reunion was a tad awkward. Here were heaps of people I knew, but didn't really have anything in common with anymore. However, as the night went on it just got better and better. Once we left the school and headed for Brother's Leagues Club for the 'after-party' things picked up a heap and it was just like old times.

A couple of big surprises, both in looks and occupations... but on the whole most people were just as I remembered them. I really valued many of the conversations I had, especially one girl who I don't think I hardly spoke to at school, but spent a considerable amount of time with chatting away last Saturday.

If anyone has their reunion coming up I can only encourage you to go - no matter how weird it might feel - because it truly is a special celebration.

I just hope it's not another 10 years before I see these mates again!

No comments:

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons