Wednesday 27 June 2012

People obsessed with Jesus are Risk Takers

Haven't we all prayed the following prayer? Lord, we pray for safety as we travel. We ask no one gets hurt on this trip. Please keep everyone safe until we return, and bring us back safely. In Jesus' name we pray, amen.  The exact wording may vary a bit, but that is the standard prayer we recite before leaving on mission trips, retreats, vacations and business trips.
We are consumed by safety.  Obsessed with it actually.  Now, I'm not saying it is wrong to pray for God's protection, but I am questioning how we've made safety our highest priority.  We've elevated safety to the neglect of whatever God's best is, whatever would bring God the most glory, or whatever would accomplish His purposes in our lives and in the world.
Would you be willing to pray this prayer? God, bring me closer to You during this trip, whatever it takes...
Francis Chan "Crazy Love" 

Wow that's a thought provoking idea.  What's even harder is thinking about someone you love and praying that for them. Keith Green wrote a song called "Pledge My Head to Heaven" and his wife pleaded with him to change the third verse - check it out.

Well, I pledge my head to heaven for the gospel,
And I ask no man on earth to fill my needs.
Like the sparrow up above, I am enveloped in his love,
And I trust him like those little ones, he feeds.

Well I pledge my wife to heaven, for the gospel,
Though our love each passing day just seems to grow.
As I told her when we wed, I'd surely rather be found dead,
Than to love her more than the one who saved my soul.

I'm your child, and I want to be in your family forever.
I'm your child, and I'm going to follow you,
No matter the cost, I'm gonna count all things lost.

Well I pledge my son to heaven for the gospel.
Though hes kicked and beaten, ridiculed and scorn.
I will teach him to rejoice, and lift a thankful praising voice,
And to be like him who bore the nails and crown of thorns.

She was fine with the bit about her, but she couldn't fathom letting her son suffer for the Gospel.  However, Keith Green consumed by the passion he's famous for wouldn't be swayed stating that Jesus' will is the most important thing no matter what.

What a challenge for us to have as an example.

No comments:

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons