Wednesday 26 February 2014

DWYL - Chapter Three

"If we desire that there be no boasting except in the cross, then we must live near the cross - indeed we must live on the cross. This is shocking. But this is what Galatians 6:14 says: "Far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Boasting in the cross happens when you are on the cross.  Is that not what Paul says? "The world has been crucified to me, and I [have been crucified] to the world." The world is dead to me, and I am dead to the world. Why? Because I have been crucified. We learn to boast in the cross and exult in the cross when were are on the cross. And until our selves are crucified there, our boast will be in ourselves."
~ John Piper - Don't Waste Your Life, p55

It is shocking! But sometimes we consider shocking things so often we become desensitized to them. As Christians do we end up taking this for granted, and we then end up not listening to Jesus when He says;
"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow me."
Luke 9:23
There's an important word in there that is forgotten when we become desensitized to the shockingness of putting ourselves on the cross... that word is daily.

Each day we need to lay down our lives... practically hang it on a cross and crucify it... allowing the resurrected life of Jesus to be our resurrection and guide our day.

That is shocking, but it is the only way not to live a wasted life.

[Listen to the Chapter Three sermon here]

No comments:

Twitter Facebook Favorites

 
Powered by Blogger | Printable Coupons